The Italian Building (Skala)

The Italian Building (Skala)

Built in 1932, by order of the Italian Governor Mario Lago to house the barracks of the Constabulary, the Post, the Customs and its warehouses, the “Italian Building”, as it is called today, is located in the central square of Skala.

With a rectangular shape that encloses two inner courtyards, its facades have a number of openings of various shapes inspired by the Italian medieval decor, while in the facade of the square there is a gallery with arches. In its corner lies an imposing two-storey square tower.

The Italian building is a typical Italian architectural monument of the era of the Italian occupation in the Dodecanese (1912-1943), and today it houses the Police Department of Patmos, the Customs, the Post and various municipal services of the island.

 

You might also like

Sights

Simantiri Mansion

The oldest building in the country after the Monastery, located near the renowned Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi, Simantiri Mansion was built in 1625 by Smyrnian artisans and is a characteristic

Sights

Monastery Zoodochos Pigi

The Nunnery “Zoodochos Pigi” is located southwest of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Chora and was founded in 1607 by the Abbot of the Monastery of St.

Sights

Municipal Churches

The following churches are the property of the Municipality and are registered under its cadastral lot: