Monastery Zoodochos Pigi

Monastery Zoodochos Pigi

The Nunnery “Zoodochos Pigi” is located southwest of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Chora and was founded in 1607 by the Abbot of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian, Parthenios Pagkostas, who dedicated it to Virgin Mary (Zoodochos Pigi) and to Saint John the Theologian. The destination of the Monastery was to function as a refuge for widows, orphans and disabled people.

The church is decorated with murals from the 16th to the 18th century, while its winged altarpieces have wood carvings dating back to the 16th century.

The icon of Panagia Eleousa in the church of the monastery is considered miraculous and the first recorded miracle is dated in 1956. A small museum with sacred vessels opened in 2007 in the monastery. The monastery celebrates every first Friday after Easter.

  • The monastery can be visited daily from 08:00 to 12:00 am and from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Except Saturday evenings)
  • Telephone: (+ 30) 2247020800

You might also like

Sights

The Italian Building (Skala)

Built in 1932, by order of the Italian Governor Mario Lago to house the barracks of the Constabulary, the Post, the Customs and its warehouses, the “Italian Building”, as it

Sights

Archaeological site of Kastelli

The position of Kastelli is arguably the most important archaeological site of Patmos, where ruins of the ancient acropolis and foundations of the temple of Apollo are saved. As a

Sights

Municipal Churches

The following churches are the property of the Municipality and are registered under its cadastral lot: