Baptistry

Baptistry

The Chapel of Saint John the Theologian is located in Skala, close to the port’s waterfront; next to it there are the preserved ruins of building, which during the Early Christian period was used as a «baptistry». According to tradition, this is where Saint John the Theologian baptized the Patmians, while another tradition mentions that this is where the Saint stood when he banished the magician Kynops (or Kenepsi) to the bottom of the sea. The Chapel of Saint John is joined to a smaller chapel dedicated to Saint Polycarpos.

Source (in Greek): http://www.patmosmonastery.gr/index.php/monastiriakoi-naoi/82-agios-ioannis-o-theologos-skalas-vaptistirion

You might also like

Sights

Holy Chapels

Holy Chapels Telephone Photos Agioi Anargiri (11th century) – Ag. Panteleimon Chiliomodiou (16th  century ) – Osios Christodoulos Alikon (17th  century ) 2247032994 Ag. Georgios tou Avlakiou (17th  century )

Sights

The Italian Building (Skala)

Built in 1932, by order of the Italian Governor Mario Lago to house the barracks of the Constabulary, the Post, the Customs and its warehouses, the “Italian Building”, as it

Patmos Island

Monastery of St. John the Theologian

In 1088 in Patmos, St. Christodoulos the Latrinos , a gifted and educated monk from Bithynia, was granted funds by Imperial Decree (Chrysovoula /Golden Seal) by the Byzantine Emperor Alexios