The Windmills of Patmos

The Windmills of Patmos

europa-nostra-logo

Europa Nostra, created in 1963 in collaboration with the European Union, constitutes a pan-European citizen’s movement for the safeguarding of Europe’s cultural and natural heritage.

Since 1978, Europa Nostra awards prizes in four categories of cultural projects evaluating them in four categories: conservation; research and digitization; dedicated services; education, training and awareness-raising.

In 2012, Patmos was one of the laureates in the category “conservation” for the exemplary restoration of the three windmills of the Monastery of St John the Theologian in Chora.

The two windmills were constructed in 1688 and the third in 1863, while in the 1950s they were abandoned as were the most windmills in Europe. After their restoration in 2012, the windmills, apart from the fact that they are open to the general public, at the same time they are put into operation producing limited – at the time – quantity of flour , having, however, prospects of growth of this production.

To read more about the Windmills of Patmos, please click here

 

The windmills of Patmos :

Watch Europa Nostra’s accompanying video about Maintenance procedures and Rehabilitation of the windmills

You might also like

Sights

Baptistry

The Chapel of Saint John the Theologian is located in Skala, close to the port’s waterfront; next to it there are the preserved ruins of building, which during the Early

Sights

Churches

Municipal Churches The following churches belong to the Municipality of Patmos and are registered under its cadastral lot:   Parishes Holy Temple Location Telephone Megali Panaghía Chora 22470 32994 Panagia

Patmos Island